How and where is a divorce complaint filed?

A plaintiff files a divorce complaint with the Clerk of Court in the county where the estranged spouse lives. The local county Sheriff must have jurisdiction to serve notice of divorce on the defendant.

The complaint must contain a statement of facts to provide notice of the basis for the lawsuit, including a statement of where the party lives and has lived. The Sheriff will deliver the papers to the defendant and provide proof of service to the court.