Can I change my name at the time of my divorce?

Many women change their last name when they divorce. Anyone can petition a judge to legally change their name. While you are in the process of getting a divorce, you can make your request for a name change part of your divorce petition.

Changing your name as part of your divorce requires completing the “Divorce” section of a special proceedings form, Application/Notice of Resumption of Former Name, and filing it with the Clerk of Superior Court in the county where you live. There is a fee, which varies from county to county, but is about $100. North Carolina law allows a woman to change her name as part of a divorce to either:

  • Her maiden name
  • The last name of a deceased husband
  • The last name of a former living husband, if she has children who carry that last name. 





Charles Ullman & Associates provides you respected, experienced and knowledgeable divorce and family law attorneys. You can trust us to help you through the legal process efficiently and effectively so you can transition to the next phase of your life. Our community involvement reaches beyond charitable support of important causes. We launched our own movement in Fraternities4Family and provide scholarships to able students in need.