How can I get a protective order from my abusive partner in North Carolina?

A North Carolina domestic violence protective order – also called a “DVPO” or “50B order” – can be obtained by doing the following:

  • File the DVPO paperwork in the civil clerk’s office.
  • A short hearing will be held between you and the judge. If the judge feels that you are suffering from domestic abuse, a temporary domestic violence protection order will be issued. A future hearing will be scheduled to determine if a long-term order should be granted.
  • At the next hearing, which will require both you and the alleged abuser to attend, the court will make a decision about granting a permanent restraining order. If a long-term order is granted, it will likely be valid for one year, but it can be renewed.


Charles Ullman & Associates provides you respected, experienced and knowledgeable divorce and family law attorneys. You can trust us to help you through the legal process efficiently and effectively so you can transition to the next phase of your life. Our community involvement reaches beyond charitable support of important causes. We launched our own movement in Fraternities4Family and provide scholarships to able students in need.