What can a prenuptial agreement include?
A prenuptial agreement in North Carolina can protect you and your spouse in a wide variety of ways. For example, it can:
- Outline which assets are owned separately versus which are owned jointly.
- Provide protection from debts if one spouse is carrying a heavy load.
- Provide for children from previous relationships.
- Define who will manage specific financial responsibilities during the marriage, such as taxes.
- Make sure heirlooms, stakes in family businesses and other family property stay in the birth family.
- Add to and protect estate plans.
- Ease the process of equitable property distribution in the unfortunate case of a divorce.