What are some common signs of domestic violence?
Domestic abuse happens to people from all walks of life, professions, and backgrounds. Knowing how to recognize the signs of domestic violence in victims can help your friends or loved ones get the protection they need.
Here are some of the most common warning signs of domestic violence:
- The victim becomes withdrawn and gradually sees his or her friends less and less. Abusers often use social isolation to control their victims and erode their self-esteem.
- The abuser frequently berates, criticizes, or humiliates the victim in front of others.
- The abuser often minimizes the victim’s accomplishments.
- The abuser treats the victim as more of a sex object than a person.
- The abuser destroys the victim’s belongings or takes them away.
- The abuser limits the victim’s access to money or a car.
- The victim regularly has bruises or other injuries that they quickly dismiss or don’t want to discuss.