How to get a restraining order in North Carolina?

restraining order in North Carolina is actually called a “protective order” or “50B order” (after the statute it is found under). The process of getting one can be broken into six steps.

These steps are:

  • Go to the courthouse and get the forms you need.
  • Fill out a complaint.
  • Fill out the summons.
  • Seek an ex parte / temporary order.
  • Attend the hearing.
  • Extend or renew the order (if needed).

Please see our page on How to File a Restraining Order in North Carolina for a more detailed description of each of these six steps.

You should also visit the N.C. Administrative Office of the Courts website to find the county courthouse located nearest to you, where you will file for the order.