NC Child Support Enforcement
Child Support Enforcement (CSE) is a national program. It helps ensures that both parents of a child take responsibility for support to the best of their ability. The CSE program provides services to the custodians of minor children – regardless of income levels.
CSE agents can help custodial parents locate noncustodial parents. Agents also assist in paternity actions and court petition for child support payments. Once a court order has been established, the noncustodial parent sends payments to the CSE’s Centralized Collections Operation which manages the collections history and disperses payments to the custodial parent.
CSE agents can enforce child support orders and initiate legal action against the noncustodial parent for non-payment – including wage garnishment and intercepting tax refunds. Agents contract with attorneys to represent the agency in civil court actions and keep any information they receive confidential.
Do you need help with a NC Child Support Agreement?
Our child support attorneys have the experience you need to develop an agreement that best fits your needs, and those of your child. Charles R. Ullman is a certified Family Law Specialist in NC and can guide you through the process. We offer information on child support laws in NC to help you better understand how you can protect your child support needs.
North Carolina CSE Organization
North Carolina’s CSE agency falls under North Carolina’s Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS). DHHS has designated the Division of Social Services (DSS) to manage the CSE program. Although counties can manage their CSE programs in different ways, the same regulations, laws and state policies apply.
The Automated Collection and Tracking System System
The N.C. CSE program uses ACTS (Automated Collection and Tracking System). ACTS is a statewide computer system which receives and shares data with more than thirty (30) state, federal and private agencies.
The NC ACTS System is used to:
- Add/update cases;
- Enter/modify court order data after a hearing;
- Review payment and collection activities;
- Perform enforcement activities such as income withholding, assets attachment and tax intercepts; document activities in the case record online;
- Interact with CSE agencies in other states.
Child Support Guidelines and Calculations
North Carolina General Statute Section 50-13.4 discusses statewide presumptive guidelines for determining the child support obligations of parents. The guidelines are periodically reviewed to make sure they are resulting in fair child support orders.
The North Carolina Department of Health & Human Services (NCDHHS) has more information on N.C. child support guidelines and a calculator to help you determine the amount for which you might be entitled. You’ll find these helpful sections on that website:
- Applicability and Deviation: This section explains when the support guidelines apply and what factors family law judges must consider before deviating from those guidelines.
- Retroactive Child Support: Are you entitled to child support before the date that a support action was filed? This section explains when family courts may award “retroactive child support.”
- Self-Support Reserve; Supporting Parents with Low Incomes: This section discusses how support is set for parents with incomes at or near the federal poverty level.
- Determination of Support in Cases involving High Combined Income: This section addresses how support is determined when couples have annual adjusted gross incomes of $300,000 or more. In those instances, the court bases support on “the reasonable needs of the child for health, education, and maintenance, having due regard to the estates, earnings, conditions, accustomed standard of living of the child and the parties, the child care and homemaker contributions of each party, and other facts of the particular case.”
- Assumptions and Expenses Included In Schedule of Basic Child Support Obligations: North Carolina’s child support model is based on an “income shares” model, which states the child should receive the same proportion of parental income he or she would have received if the child’s parents lived together.
- Income: This section defines “gross income,” and also discusses what courts may do if a parent is voluntarily unemployed or underemployed. It also describes how income can be verified through pay stubs and income tax returns.
- Pre-existing Child Support Obligations and Responsibility for Other Child(ren): This section describes what courts
- Child Care Costs: This section sets out monthly child care costs that are incurred when a parent is working or search for a job. Child care costs may be added to the basic child support obligation and prorated between the parents according to their incomes. The costs are set out for 1-6 children and range from $1,850 to $3,700.
- Health Insurance and Health Care Costs: This section discusses how medical and dental costs for children are to be paid, and when the court may order a parent to obtain health insurance.
- Other Extraordinary Expenses: This section addresses how to handle expenses related to private schooling or special educational needs as well as transportation costs as the child travels between each parent’s home.
- Child Support Worksheets: A child support worksheet is provided that shows the Proposed Monthly Basic Child Support Obligations. The support calculator looks at the couple’s combined adjusted gross income and the number of children to arrive at a proposed monthly basic child support obligation.
- Modification: This section describes what factors amount to a “substantial change of circumstances,” allowing a modification of an existing child support order.
- Applying for Child Support Enforcement Services. Click here to apply for Child Support Enforcement Services.
- Managing Your Current Case. Anyone with a child support case can get information on their case through the Internet (echildsupport) or by telephone (1-800-992-9457). Personalized assistance is also available between 7:30am and 7:30pm, but there is an automated Interactive Voice Response Unit (IVR) available 24 hours per day.
NC Child Support Enforcement (CSE) Agency Information By County:
|Alamance County CSE Agency|
319 North Graham Hopedale Road
Burlington, NC 27217
|Alexander County Social Services|
604 7th St. SW
Taylorsville, NC 28681
|Alleghany County Social Services|
182 Doctors St.
Sparta, NC 28675
|Anson County Department of Social Services|
118 N. Washington St
Wadesboro, NC 28170
|Ashe County Department of Social Services|
150 Government Circle, Suite #1100
Jefferson, NC 28640
|Avery County Department of Social Services|
175 Linville Street, PO Box 309
Newland, NC 28657
|Beaufort County Department of Social Services|
632 W. 5th Street
Washington, NC 27889
|Bertie County Department of Social Services, Child Support Enforcement|
110 Jasper Bazemore Avenue
Windsor, NC 27983
|Bladen County Dept. of Social Services|
PO Box 369
Elizabethtown, NC 28337
|Brunswick County Social Services|
60 Government Center Drive
Bolivia, NC 28422
|Buncombe Child Support Enforcement Agency|
30 Garfield Street, Suite A
Asheville, N. C. 28803
|Burke County Social Services|
700 East Parker Road
Morganton, NC 28680-0219
|Cabarrus County Child Support Services|
1303 S. Cannon Blvd
Kannapolis, NC 28083
|Caldwell County Child Support Enforcement Unit|
2345 Morganton Blvd. SW, Suite A
Lenoir, NC 28645
|Camden County Department of Social Services|
117 NC HWY 343 North
Camden, NC 27921
|Carteret County Clerk Of Court|
300 Courthouse Square
Beaufort, NC 28516
|Caswell County Department of Social Services|
175 E. Church St.
Yanceyville, NC 27379
|Catawba County Child Support Services|
3030 Eleventh Ave. Dr., S.E.
Hickory, NC 28601
|Chatham County Child Support|
102 Camp Dr.
Pittsboro, NC 27312
|Cherokee County Department of Social Services|
4800 W US Highway 64
Murphy, NC 28906
|Chowan County Department of Social Services|
100 W. Freemason Circle
Edenton, NC 27932
|Clay County Department of Social Services|
55 Riverside Circle
Hayesville, NC 28904
|Cleveland County Department of Social Services|
130 South Post Road
Shelby, NC 28150
|Columbus County Department of Social Services|
40 Government Complex Rd.
Whiteville, NC 28472
|Craven County Child Support Enforcement|
403 George St, Suite 200
New Bern, NC 28560
|Cumberland County Child Support Department|
109 Bradford Avenue 4th Floor
Fayetteville, NC 28302
|Currituck County Department of Social Services|
2793 Caratoke Hwy.,
Currituck, NC 27929
|Dare County Department of Social Services|
107 Exeter Street
Manteo, NC 27954
|Davidson County Child Support Enforcement|
913 Greensboro St.
Lexington, NC 27293
|Davie County Child Support Enforcement|
228 Hospital St.
Mocksville, NC 27028
|Duplin County Department of Social Services|
423 N. Main St
Kenansville, NC 28349
|Durham County Department of Social Services|
200 E. Main St.
Durham, NC 27701
|Edgecombe County Child Support Enforcement|
122 E. James Street
Tarboro, NC 27886
|Forsyth County Child Support Enforcement|
741 North Highland Avenue
Winston-Salem, NC 27101
|Franklin County Department of Social Services|
107 Industrial Dr.
Louisburg, NC 27549
|Gaston County Department of Social Services|
330 N. Marietta Street
Gastonia, NC 28052
|Gates County Department of Social Services|
122 Main St.
Gatesville, NC 27938
|Graham County Department of Social Services|
196 Knight St.
Robbinsville, NC 28771
|Granville County Department of Social Services|
107 Lanier Street
Oxford, NC 27565
|Greene County Department of Social Services|
227 Kingold Blvd. Suite A
Snow Hill, NC 28580
|Guilford County Department of Social Services|
1203 Maple Street
Greensboro, NC 27405
High Point Office
325 E Russell Ave.
High Point, NC 27260
|Halifax County Department of Social Services|
4421 Hwy 301
Halifax, NC 27839
|Harnett County Child Support Enforcement Services|
317 E. Jackson Blvd.,
Erwin, NC 28339
|Haywood County Department of Social Services|
157 Paragon Parkway, Suite 300
Clyde, NC 28721
|Henderson County Social Services|
1200 Spartanburg Hwy., Suite 300
Hendersonville, N.C. 28792
|Hertford County Child Support Enforcement|
704 N King St.
Winton, NC 27986
|Hoke County Department of Social Services|
314 South Magnolia Street
Raeford, NC 28376
|Hyde County Department of Social Services|
1430 Main St.
Swan Quarter, NC 27885
|Iredell County Department of Social Services|
549 Eastside Drive
Statesville, NC 28625
|Jackson County Department of Social Services|
15 Griffin Street
Sylva, NC 28779
|Johnston County Child Support Enforcement|
Law Enforcement Center – 3rd Floor
120 S. Third Street
Smithfield, NC 27577
|Jones County Department of Social Services|
418 Highway 58 North
Trenton, NC 28585
|Lee County Child Support Enforcement|
530 Carthage St.
Sanford, NC 27330
|Lenoir County Department Of Social Services|
130 W King Street
Kinston, NC 28501
|Lincoln County Department of Social Services|
1136 E. Main Street
Lincolnton, NC 28093
|Macon County Department of Social Services|
Lakeside Government Complex
1832 Lakeside Drive
Franklin, NC 28734
|Madison County Department of Social Services|
5707 U.S. Hwy 25/70, Unit D
Marshall, NC 28753
|Martin County Department of Social Services|
305 E. Main St.
Williamston, NC 27892
|McDowell County Department of Social Services Child Support|
145 E. Court St.
Marion, NC 28752
|Mecklenburg County Child Support Enforcement|
5800 Executive Center Dr.
Charlotte, NC 28212
|Mitchell County Department of Social Services|
347 Long View Dr.
Bakersville, NC 28705
|Montgomery County Social Services|
102 E. Spring St.
Drawer N, Troy, NC 27371
|Moore County Child Support|
1 Courthouse Square
Carthage, NC 28327
|Nash County Department of Social Services|
120 Washington Street
Nashville, NC 27856
|New Hanover County Department of Social Services|
1650 Greenfield Street
Wilmington, NC 28402
|Northampton County Department of Social Services|
9467 NC Hwy. 305
Jackson, NC 27845
|Onslow County Department of Social Services|
1915 Onslow Drive Extension
Jacksonville, NC 28541
|Orange County Child Support Services|
131 W. Margaret Lane
Hillsborough, NC 27278
|Pamlico County Human Services Center|
828 Alliance Main St.
Bayboro, NC 28515
|Pasquotank County Department of Social Services|
709 Roanoke Avenue
Elizabeth City, NC 27909
|Pender County Department of Social Services|
810 S. Walker St.
Burgaw, NC 28425
|Perquimans County Department of Social Services|
103 Charles St.
Hertford, NC 27944
|Person County Child Support Enforcement|
355-B S. Madison Blvd.
Roxboro, NC 27573
|Pitt County Department of Social Services|
1717 W. Fifth Street
Greenville, NC 27834
|Polk County Department of Social Services|
231 Wolverine Trail
Mill Spring, 28756
|Randolph County Child Support Enforcement|
215 Friendly Road
Asheboro, NC 27203
|Richmond County Department of Social Services|
125 Caroline St.
Rockingham, NC 28379
|Robeson County Department of Social Services|
120 Glen Cowan Rd. Lumberton, NC 28360
|Rockingham County Department of Social Services|
PO Box 61
Wentworth, NC 27375
|Rowan County Department of Social Services|
1813 East Innes Street
Salisbury, NC 28146
|Rutherford County Department of Social Services|
389 Fairground Rd.
Spindale, NC 28160
|Sampson County Department of Social Services|
360 County Complex Rd.
PO Box 1105
Clinton, NC 28328
|Scotland County Department of Social Services|
Child Support Enforcement
507 West Covington Street
Laurinburg, NC 28352
|Stanly County Department of Children Services|
1000 North First Street, Suite 2,
Albemarle, NC 28001
|Stokes County Department of Social Services|
1010 Hwy 8 & 89 N.
Danbury, NC 27016
|Surry County Department of Social Services|
118 Hamby Road,
Dobson, NC 27017
|Swain County Department of Social Services|
80 Academy Street
Bryson City, NC 28713
|Transylvania County Department of Social Services|
106 E. Morgan Street
Brevard, NC 28712
|Tyrrell County Department of Social Services|
102 N. Road St.
Columbia, NC 27925
|Union County Department of Social Services|
1212 West Roosevelt Blvd.
Monroe, NC 28110
|Vance County Child Support Services|
350 Ruin Creek Road
Henderson, NC 27536
|Wake County Clerk of Court|
316 Fayetteville St,
Raleigh, NC 27602
|Warren County Department of Social Services|
108 S. Bragg Street
Warrenton, NC 27589
|Washington County Center For Human Services|
209 E. Main St.
Plymouth, NC 27962
|Watauga County Department of Social Services|
132 Poplar Grove Connector, Suite C
Boone, NC 28607
|Wayne County Child Support Enforcement|
224 E. Walnut Street
Goldsboro, NC 27530
|Wilkes County Department of Social Services|
304 College St.
Wilkesboro, NC 28697
|Wilson County Child Support Services|
2201 Miller Road South
Wilson, NC 27893
|Yadkin County Department of Social Services: Child Support Enforcement|
250 Willow St.
Yadkinville, NC 27055
|Yancey County Department of Social Services|
320 Pensacola Road
Burnsville, NC 28714